Under the leadership of Professor Chin-Su Liu, the team of Taipei Veterans General Hospital Transplantation Surgery (TS) has created remarkable achievements in the past 20 years. In addition to playing an important role in the field of liver and kidney transplantation, the TS team has also become a pioneer in the area of international pediatric liver transplantation.
To date, the team has accomplished more than 700 cases of liver transplantation, including more than 500 cases of living donor liver transplantations. Besides, we have assisted hospitals in Vietnam to finish 11 cases of liver transplantation between 2007 and 2020. Under worldwide raging outbreaks, we still arranged two cases of urgent pediatric liver transplantations for Vietnamese infants during 2020-2021. The team has also set records of liver transplantation for the youngest age and the smallest weight of recipients in Taiwan.
In the field of living-donor kidney transplantation, we have introduced the technique of minimally invasive retroperitoneal laparoscopic living-donor nephrectomy in 2013 to reduce the painful sensation of surgical wounds and decrease the recovery time of kidney donors. Meanwhile, we devote ourselves to promoting elderly living-donor kidney transplantation to improve the long-term prognosis of young and middle-aged patients with kidney disease.
The survival rate of liver and kidney transplantation in our hospital is kept pace with other medical centers. We will keep working and dedicated to increasing the welfare of transplant patients in the future.
- ★ Completed the first Domino liver transplantation (cadaveric-living) in 2007.
- ★ Completed the Domino liver transplantation (living-living) in 2013.
- ★ Performed the first case of Auxiliary Partial Orthotopic Liver Transplantation (APOLT) in 2011.
- ★ Performed liver transplantation of lightest record of patient's body weight for patient with 3.86kg in 2019 in Taiwan.
- ★ Performed liver transplantation of youngest record of patient's age for patient with 25-day-old in 2019 in Taiwan.
- ★ Assisted 11 cases of pediatric liver transplantation in Vietnam from 2007 to 2020.
- ★ Arrange 2 cases of urgent liver transplantations for infants from Vietnam under the COVID-19 epidemic during 2020 to 2021
- ★ Performed 31 cases of liver transplants for patients with metabolic liver disease, the most in Taiwan.
- ★ Promoted 25 cases of living donor kidney transplantation with elderly kidney donors since 2017.
Professor Liu participated in the gathering of liver transplant patients with metabolic liver disease and their families.
Daily visit of Professor Liu to the little patient, who was the youngest patient (25-day-old) receiving liver transplantation in Taiwan.
The team of liver transplantation in Vietnam in 2020.
Taiwan Can Help! Overcoming the barriers of the COVID-19 pandemic, the team successfully rescued a 9-month-old infant from Vietnam from liver failure caused by biliary atresia and cirrhosis.
Our liver transplantation team and the pediatric patients in Vietnam.